1) We conceded first. Arsenal started well, but there was nothing that Szczesny could do to stop Jack Collison’s long-range effort. It’s just typical of how Arsenal have been this season really.
2) Lukas Podolski had arguably his best game for Arsenal. Podolski chipped in with a fantastic equaliser only a few minutes after we had concded (- potentially one of the goals of the season) and grabbed 3 great assists.
“He had an outstanding game tonight. He scored a very important goal. He has an unbelievable shot because the keeper had no chance. After he gave of course two great balls as well. What is new for us is that we scored on a corner! It was a bit unusual. He had a very strong game at West Ham as well. Certainly today it was his most efficient game because I felt he took responsibility at the moment when we needed him. With a player of his experience you expect him to do that. I have plenty of candidates [to play through the centre] but I believe still this is his best position [on the left].”
3) 10 minutes changed everything. I am not quite sure what happened after half time, but suddenly everything just clicked. I would go as far as to say that it is the best 10-15 minutes that I have seen Arsenal play this season. Goals in the 47th (Giroud), 53rd (Cazorla), 54th (Walcott) and 57th (Giroud) put us way out of West Ham’s reach.
4) Olivier Giroud chipped in with brace to take himself into double figures for the season. Olivier clearly likes scoring against West Ham. He got his first Premier League goal at Upton Park and two against them at the Emirates. Let’s just hope that he can take his goalscoring form into our match against Liverpool next Wednesday.
5) Thomas Vermaelen twisted his ankle and was substituted for Koscielny on 57 minutes as a precaution. Apparently it is nothing major, although he is out for Saturday’s FA Cup 4th round match against Brighton.
“Vermaelen has an ankle problem. He got kicked and twisted a little bit. He is a doubt for Saturday but it is nothing major.”
6) West Ham were reduced to 10 men when Dan Potts was stretchered off after almost 10 minutes of treatment for a head injury. Potts spent the night in hospital, but was allowed home yesterday after some positive test results.
7) Aaron Ramsey played well as a replacement for Abou Diaby in central midfield. Diaby was rested because he has started quite a few consecutive games following his return from a lengthy injury. I think that Ramsey did better than Diaby has done in that position in the last few games. I can’t understand why Wenger insists on playing playing him on the wing when he has the potential to play like that at centre mid.
8) Some Gooners on Twitter have expressed concerns that this win may lull Wenger into a false sense of security and stop him from strengthening the squad. However, Wenger left his post-match press conference early to go and continue meetings over transfers, so hopefully it is all good news. There are only 6 days left in the transfer window, so he better be quick!
Latest posts by Ben Montague (see all)
- Agent – “Arsenal are very interested in Jackson Martinez” - June 12, 2014
- Arsenal chasing £30m Brazil winger - June 10, 2014
- Arsenal complete two summer signings - June 7, 2014