Arsène Wenger has said that he is not willing to risk further injury setbacks by rushing Jack Wilshere back into first-team training.
Only a few days ago it was reported that Wilshere had picked up a small knee injury which further delayed his return.
The 20-year-old has not played a single game this season because of an ankle injury, and it does not look like he will feature in any of the 5 remaining games this season. The big question, however, is whether he will be fit enough to go to the European Championships having had no game-time for Arsenal.
“He is making slow progress, so we still monitor the situation at the moment.
“I told you the next three weeks would be decisive. Now we have two weeks in front of us and I cannot tell you more. I will not take any risk with him.”
Speaking last week about the possibility of Jack going to the Euro’s, Wenger argued that the next three (now two) weeks are very important. If Jack is not playing football in some capacity by the end of April then it is very unlikely that he would be picked to travel to Poland/Ukraine in early June.
“We try to keep the hope alive for him and without taking too many risks.
“That means we adapt day to day, to manage him, to improve his physical state and get him fit as quickly as we can without taking too big a risk, which means when he has pain we stop him.
“In the next four or five weeks we will know more and the next three weeks will be decisive. You would think a player who wants to play in June will have to be competitive at the end of April. The next three weeks will decide [if he can go to the Euros].”
Latest posts by Ben Montague (see all)
- Agent – “Arsenal are very interested in Jackson Martinez” - June 12, 2014
- Arsenal chasing £30m Brazil winger - June 10, 2014
- Arsenal complete two summer signings - June 7, 2014