According to reports in L’Équipe, Roberto Mancini may offload Samir Nasri this summer because he has been unhappy with the Frenchman’s performances since he joined the club.
Nasri scored 6 goals and made 9 assists last season, which, while not terrible, is clearly not as good as he managed during his last season at Arsenal. Although not officially transfer listed, L’Équipe claim that City would be willing to listen to offers for the 24-year-old, despite only having signed him from us last summer.
This news has led to a ridiculous report in The Metro which claims that Nasri is now a potential target for Arsenal as Arsène Wenger remains one of his biggest fans.
The fact that The Metro even published that article is beyond stupid and shows how much their journalist and sports editor (who conveniently are not named on the article and therefore cannot be shamed) know about football. If there is one thing I know for sure about transfers, it’s that Nasri will never return to Arsenal. If I were to win the lottery, I would put all my money on it for several reasons:
1) Nasri’s behavior when he left Arsenal was absolutely disgraceful. He went from Hero to Zero in the eyes of Arsenal fans faster than you can say “what a tw*t”. Not only was his behavior towards the end of his career in North London completely out of order, but he continues to make snide comments about the club and has shown no attempt to apologise to Arsenal fans. I don’t think that there is a single Gooner who would want him back in our team. His form for City doesn’t exactly justify his wage bill and I would argue that Arsenal did pretty well to get £25 million for a player in the last year of his contract.
2) Arsenal have already signed Lucas Podolski, and we have Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Gervinho and Ryo Miyaichi all on the wing. Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta have been fantastic in midfield while (hopefully) Jack Wilshere is also returning from injury; we don’t need Nasri back and I wouldn’t want him in the team.
3) Even if we got past the fact that Arsenal fans hate his guts and that we don’t need him, there is no way in hell that Arsene Wenger would agree to pay his astronomical wages and Nasri would never agree to a wage cut. He can just be another one of those City players that agrees to go out on loan, safe in the knowledge that Sheikh Mansour will continue to pay their wages until the end of their contracts.
4) Even Manchester City aren’t stupid enough to sell Nasri after one season. His form picked up once he actually got himself off the bench and it wouldn’t make any sense for them to let him leave this early into his contract. It’s not like they need the money.
5) City are Premier League champions. From a footballing point of view, the only reason that Nasri would want to leave is if he wanted to play and try and win in a different league (i.e Germany, Italy or Spain).
Rant over, so now Arsenal fans, if they were ever worried at any point, can sleep comfortably, safe in the knowledge that that money grabbing idiot won’t be coming back.
(Because I had a go about it earlier, this article is by Ben Montague.)